10 Dec 2014

The Holiday Makeup Look




The holiday season is upon us and that means a multitude of holiday parties. I'm sure most of you will be invited to parties for work, family, and/or friends and finding appropriate makeup looks for each can be a bit tough so I have come up with a few tips to help you get the perfect holiday look down pat. 

Master that flawless base
I recently found that my winning flawless skin combination is the result of Stila's CC Cream and L'Oreal's True Match Foundation, with a light dusting of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light. I use NARS' Laguna Bronzer to inject some warmth and life back into my skin (because even though it's officially Summer in Australia, it's been raining non-stop for the past week and a half) and to create a killer contour, and finally a bit of NARS' Almería blush which is great because it is a non-interfering colour that completes the glow-y look.

Find what suits you and stick with it; nothing beats a great base, in my opinion. The holiday season is a perfect time of year where you can really play up the eyes or the lips, and having that flawless base will really help tie either of those two elements together. 

Bust out the shimmer eyeshadows
When I think of the holiday season I think of glitters and sparkles and all things shiny. Using shimmer eyeshadows (even glitter eyeshadows) is great for a holiday makeup look as it is very flattering and the shimmer adds dimension to the eyes. I love using my Stila Eyes Are The Window Palette in Soul because it has a great selection of rosy/brown eyeshadows which I find particularly flattering for dark brown eyes. If you are looking for something simple, I recommend Eyeko Me and My Shadow in Chocolate for its ease of application and blendability. Don't forget to add loads of mascara! 

Time for the red lip
Although red lips are acceptable all year round, it's truly perfect for the holiday season. You can go for a bright cherry red lipstick (like Bourjois' Rouge Edition 12 Hour lipstick in Cherry My Cherie) or a more raspberry shade (like NARS Audacious Lipstick in Audrey). Whatever lippie you pick, find something that is long lasting because as you all know, the holidays involves lots of eating! If you really want a no-fuss option, try a pigmented gloss like the Revlon Moisture Stains or the Stila Lip Glazes. 

Set Set Set!
Whenever I go out to a party, I always like to make sure that I set my makeup well. I use both powder and a setting spray as I have a tendency to get really shiny (especially when I use a non-oil free foundation). I recommend the Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder as it is very light and virtually invisible and the Urban Decay De-Slick Setting Spray (which I spritz on after priming and after my whole face is complete). 

Hopefully these tips and product suggestions will help you find your signature holiday look. Don't be afraid to try out different looks and don't forget to have fun. Enjoy the holiday season everyone!




10 comments:

  1. L'Oreal's true match foundation is a life saver! I love the look of the lipstick, the colour is perfect for the festive season! x

    http://beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Match is such an unexpected treat from the drugstore and I am so glad I picked it out! NARS Audacious Audrey is a lovely shade that's sort of wine-y and raspberry and is absolutely gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Shimmer/glitter eye shadow is perfect for this time of the year, I really want some of the UD heavy metal loose glitters!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UD Heavy Metal Loose Glitter is your hardcore festive season shimmer! Stila's Jewel Eyeshadows are wonderful to use as well (and probably a bit easier!)

      Delete
  3. Nars Audacious lipsticks have been on my wish list for the longest time, wish it was more readily available in the small town that I am staying. The Stila palette looks amazing, I'll have to go and check it out!

    Reflection of Sanity | Smashbox Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the waiting list for my precious Audrey for over a month! Don't be disheartened; it just means more time to pick the perfect shade ;)

      You definitely do! The quality of the shadows are amazing and I just can't say enough good things about it.

      Delete
  4. I'm lusting over your palette collection, so many I'd love to try!

    Josie XOXO
    Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I definitely have way more than necessary (and yet I'm still pining over the LORAC Pro palette…). Might I recommend the Too Faced Boudoir Eyes palette as well ;)

      Delete
  5. I'd really like to own the nars christmas palette :)

    I'm running a "Christmas" giveaway (lorac pro pallet+ the wet brush), if you're interested, check this link:
    little taste of heaven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year's NARS Christmas collection is amazing!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always read your comments and try to respond to them as soon as possible. If you have an urgent question or message, please contact me at tweezersandtongs@gmail.com.