22 Jul 2014

Get Your Bases Covered





Over the past couple of years, my collection of face bases has grown. My first ever 'proper' foundation was the Maybelline Pure Makeup foundation, and since then I've bumped up to higher-end foundations. When I look for foundations, I look for something light in feeling, light-medium coverage, oil-free (for my combination skin), and something that isn't too matte or too dewy.

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua (20 Beige)
This was my first ever high-end foundation. It is an oil-free, water-based foundation which provides the right amount of coverage. As it is water-based, you have to shake up the bottle before using it otherwise you end up with a separated mixture of water and pigment. The foundation itself is wonderful, it's not too matte or too dewy and it's easy to apply with either fingers or a brush (I use the Urban Decay Good Karma Optical Blurring brush). My only gripe about this foundation is the fragrance; although I find it pleasant, my skin hates it. I have very sensitive skin and I have noticed that every time I use this foundation, I get little bumps on my lower cheek to jawline region (which takes a couple of weeks to settle down).

Clinique Almost Powder (04 Neutral)
This is the perfect foundation to use when you're in a mad dash for the front door. I purchased this with a need for a powder that can double up as a setting powder and a foundation in mind. This powder sets any of my liquid foundations nicely, without making it look cakey. What I love most about it is that it has a bit of coverage, which takes away the remaining redness in my cheeks after foundation application! When used as a setting powder, I apply it with my Real Techniques Multi Task Brush, and when used as a foundation, I use the Real Techniques Buffing Brush.

Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer (Ivory)
I absolutely love this base. It has a decent amount of coverage (for a tinted moisturiser) and contains SPF 20, so it's perfect for the warmer months. It boasts an oil-free, antioxidant rich formula, and is formulated without the bad stuff (parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, SLS, synthetic fragrances), so it's perfect for my sensitive skin. I find that as the day wears on, this foundation looks better and better! It can look a bit too dewy if you apply too much, so just be wary of that.

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (Deauville)
I purchased this foundation about a week ago and I'm already very in love with it. Although it is not oil-free, I find that this sits nicely on my combination skin with a primer (I use the Smashbox Photo Finish Light) and a setting powder. I suggest applying the foundation in small quantities and building it up in layers. You really need to work this into your skin (either with a brush or your fingers) so as to not look cakey. It does not contain SPF, so it's perfect for flash photography, and I find that the lasting time is about 6-7 hours on my skin. Be warned, the name is quite deceiving as it is not a sheer foundation! It is medium-full coverage and provides a really nice matte/dewy look to the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always read your comments and try to respond to them as soon as possible. If you have an urgent question or message, please contact me at tweezersandtongs@gmail.com.